Raphael Dorman and Helen Starbuck Professor of Political Science
Director, MIT International Science and Technology Initiative
Class of 1960 Innovation in Education Fellow
Suzanne Berger’s research in comparative politics and political economy focuses on the impact of globalization. Her research into the varied strategies that Asian, American, and European companies use to compete resulted in the book, How We Compete (2005). Professor Berger is also an expert in the French political system and was awarded the French Legion of Honor Medal in 2009.
Highlights of this interview include:
- Research interests in French peasantry, national and international security, politics in France and Italy, and government-business relations.
- Importance of the MIT International Science and Technology Initiative (MISTI).
- Value of American students studying and living abroad.
- Collaborating with Richard Lester and Michael Piore.
- Founding Seminar 21.
- Winning the French Legion of Honor Medal for strengthening ties between MIT and French researchers.